THE MIRROR


“Hello Mom, I am home. I am sorry Mom, I cannot accompany you tonight. I need to sleep right now.”

“Just go to sleep, honey. I know you are tired now.”

I was a mountain climber. This month, I climbed Mount Merapi with my friends. I started to climb when I was in Senior High School. Tired. Yes, that’s just what I felt right now.

I heard my wall clock ticking. It showed 8 p.m., but I did not care. I needed to sleep right now. My cozy bedroom and my soft bed made me fast asleep. I needed a beautiful dream after the four days that I could not sleep.

I tried to imagine a beautiful dream. I met a handsome man from the Javanese kingdom. I did not know his name. I just followed him.

“Who are you? And… where is this place?”, I asked.

No talking between us. He just smiled at me and I continued to walk through the rice field and into a forest. I did not feel strange with this place, I said to myself. I heard other sounds, sounds of a crowd  in the middle of forest. They looked at me with their strange faces. People were dancing around me. There was the sound of Gamelan. Such a horror night in the middle of strange people. They gave me a mirror. Yes, a mirror. I just remembered about that mirror. It was my mirror, and  I lost my mirror when I climbed Mount Merapi.

“It is your mirror, isn’t it?”

“Yes. I dropped it three days ago.”

“I am the prince in this kingdom. I found it near the water fall when I hunted,” said the man. “I can see your face from this mirror. You are very beautiful. Do you want to be mine?”

“Don’t! Please go away from her!” screamed a boy. “Run!”

The boy held my hand and we ran from the crowd. They chased me and my new friend. I was afraid because their bodies and faces changed to be giants.

“Help me…. Help me…. Mom…” I screamed.

We ran and ran. Finally, we stopped near the water fall. I still kept my mirror. The boy looked at my mirror and said,

“You have to get out from here. Now, look at your mirror. This mirror can bring you home. They are the watchmen from Mount Merapi. They want you as their follower. Please go now!”

“How about you?”

“I am safe here. Look at your mirror. Do it now!”

I did what he said. I heard my Mom’s voice as she entered my room. She hugged and kissed me. I was safe now. She reminded me to pray before sleep. I forgot to do that. After praying, I tried to sleep again.


“Wait… What smell is it? The smell is like jasmine. And… What… what is it? My mirror? How come?”

Popular posts from this blog

Filosofi Stik Es Krim

Gelang Tridatu: Menyimpan Filosofi Unik dalam Masyarakat Hindu Bali

If We Hold On Together